In August 1945, during the final stage of the Second World War, the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The two bombings, which killed at least 129,000 people, remain the only use of nuclear weapons for warfare in history. (from Wikipedia)
Task 1Watch the video about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and answer the following questions.
- When was the first atomic bomb dropped?
- What was the airplane that dropped the bomb called?
- Where was the group of scientists who made the bomb based?
- What happened inside the airplane when the bomb went off?
- Who was President of the USA at that time?
- What did the Hiroshima bombing teach mankind?
Task 2Watch the video again and fill in the gaps in the transcript.
If you wish to check your answers, you can watch the video on YouTube with the captions on (just click the CC button at the bottom of the video).
Click on the image below to download the worksheet.