Dead Poets Society is a 1989 American drama film written by Tom Schulman, directed by Peter Weir and starring Robin Williams. Set at the conservative and aristocratic Welton Academy in the northeast United States in 1959, it tells the story of an English teacher who inspires his students through his teaching of poetry. (from wikipedia)
Saturday, June 27, 2015
Monday, May 18, 2015
"Inner Giant is much more than a book, it is a journey through the lives and experiences of its creators. It contains over twenty short stories written by a variety of authors, introduced by two fictional school boys adding a touch of humour and irony to the stories.
The second part contains poetry of all shapes and sizes, conceived by different, but talented poets.
There are several other parts to the book, each crammed with illustrations, photographs, paintings, essays, lesson materials and pieces of sound advice.
All the material in the book has one message, do not stand for bullying, do not stand by bullying and do not bully others.
The profits from the book are being donated to anti-bullying organizations. Making this unique work a must read for all. It’s time you found your own Inner Giant." Frank Letras
Click here to order a copy.
Friday, May 1, 2015
Before watching the video, read the comprehension questions and study the words in the vocabulary section below.
- Where was the teenager found?
- How long had he been trapped in the ruins?
- How many hours after the earthquake was the baby found?
- What alerted the rescue teams to search for him?
- How many people have been affected by the earthquake?
- What dangers are the earthquake victims facing now?
- Rubble are broken pieces of stone, brick, etc., from walls or buildings that have fallen. e.g. Rescue workers managed to pull two injured people out of the rubble.
- When you assess something, you make a judgment about it. e.g. After the hurricane, officials assessed the town's need for aid.
- When you alert someone, you give them important information about a possible problem, danger, etc., you warn them. e.g. Several neighbors alerted the authorities/police when they noticed strangers acting suspiciously.
- A rural area is an area in the countryside. e.g. She lives in a rural area.
- When you scramble for something, you try very hard to get it before someone else does. e.g. Both players scrambled for the ball.