Afghan Landslide Site Declared Mass Grave By Authorities
May 3 - Afghan officials have declared the site where landslides buried thousands of people a mass grave, saying it's impossible to recover those trapped.
Watch the video and answer the following questions.
- When did the tragic disaster occur?
- What caused the landslide?
- What happened to the villagers who rushed to the scene to help?
- Why have rescuers given up hope of finding any more survivors?
- How many people have been displaced by the disaster?
- to pummel (v): to cause a lot of damage to a place e.g. Hurricane Mitch is pummeling the Atlantic coast.
- debris (n): the pieces that are left after something has been destroyed e.g. After the earthquake, rescuers began digging through the debris in search of survivors.
- wreckage (n): the broken parts of a vehicle, building, etc., that has been badly damaged or destroyed e.g. The pilot was trapped in the wreckage for almost seven hours.
- death toll (n): the number of people who die in an accident, disaster, war, etc. e.g. The death toll has now risen to 200.
- to wreak havoc means to cause great damage e.g. The virus wreaked havoc on my computer.
- rubble (n): broken pieces of stone, brick, etc., from walls or buildings that have fallen e.g.
Rescue workers managed to pull two injured people out of the rubble.