In the summer of 2015, Europe experienced the highest influx of refugees since the Second World War. Why? The main reason is that Syria has become the world's top source of refugees.
Watch the video and answer the following questions.
- How long has Syria been ruled by the al-Assad family?
- What is the Arab Spring? When did it happen?
- What was ISIS' goal?
- Where are the majority of Syrian refugees living now?
- Why was Greece unable to take care of all the people that arrived on its islands?
- What was the operation Mare Nostrum designed for?
- What made people around the world change the way they thought about the refugee crisis?
- What fears do people in the Western world have over the large number of refugees arriving in Europe?
Image credit: https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/europe-migrants_greece-11.jpg?w=840
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
Syria: The story of the conflict (BBC News)